Job posting: Full-stack developer
Feb 13 2018
The Reese News Lab at the University of North Carolina’s School of Media and Journalism is seeking a full-stack news application developer to help build and maintain new media products that serve the information needs of geographic communities.
We are seeking a software engineer with a passion for the mission of journalism to help people understand the world around them and make decisions that help them lead happier and more productive lives.
Reese News Lab is a combination start-up and educational environment, and the ideal candidate will be comfortable both working on code sprints and patiently explaining technical opportunities and limitations to undergraduate students and rural journalists.
Your primary job (about 50% of your time) will be to develop open source apps for extracting, transforming, loading and republishing public data for use by journalists in small newsrooms. But as part of that, you will also:
- Advise and assist student and professional journalists working on data reporting projects
- Maintain and update databases of public data for use by student developers and journalists
- Maintain and document AWS infrastructure of the Reese News Lab
- Work with the Reese News Lab director to design & develop digital media prototype products
- BS in computer science or journalism or related field plus three years relevant experience
Qualifications & Experience Requirements:
- Good communication skills – from verbal to email to readme files and code commenting
- Broad curiosity, self-initiative and ability to foresee both challenges and opportunities
- Professional proficiency with web application development frameworks such as Django, Flask, Ruby on Rails
- Professional proficiency managing production SQL databases
- Experience deploying and managing services on AWS
- Previous experience in a leadership role
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with only general guidelines and little supervision
- Strong project management skills with proven ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Familiarity with data analysis in Python or R
- Familiarity with geographic data
- Experience working with digital media audience analytics
- An understanding of the basic economics of digital media
- Experience explaining what you’re doing and why you’re doing it
- Experience deploying and maintaining WordPress websites, including integration with other platforms such as Google Analytics
- Experience in a startup environment, but the patience to navigate the regulations of a large bureaucracy
This is a full-time position based in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, although remote applicants will be considered. The position is contingent on funding, and is funded through June 2020 by a grant from the Knight Foundation.
The schedule for this position is flexible, but will require regular meetings with students and other Reese News Lab staff in during regular business hours. Work space will be provided, as will any hardware and software required to perform the duties of the job.
We encourage candidates of all experience levels to apply. If the above doesn’t describe you perfectly, please get in touch anyway and tell us why you want to work with us.